Have you ever just hit one of those funks? I hit one around Christmas and didn’t even bother to open my Christmas cards let alone send any out. It was pretty sad and I needed to find something to focus on so I wasn’t just doing the status quo. That’s when I made a move to start sewing more regularly. Then it became all about the UFO challenge. Now I have almost all my laundry caught up (because when is it ever really caught up? I mean they just run around making more dirty laundry…) and I can feel more of a balance in myself. I’m glad to see that there is more sunshine and warmth and I think I really needed that. I hope that the promise of spring is breathing new life for you as well.
Now, about that UFO challenge I was talking about….I have more show and share! This month was a little more challenging because I had to go off list for one of my projects.
This is one of my many Block Of The Month projects. Remember when they were so popular every shop had one? Or maybe even more than one? This was based on black and white blocks that came with block border instructions. (I may have talked about this one before) The blocks were finished and I had a couple that needed to be fixed. Then I needed to decide on those block borders. There were some really good ideas and some that were really detailed. I thought it might be quicker to go with something simpler. These were done with a partial seam technique which means I could cut all my strips the same size and at the same time. I have found that I really don’t mind partial seams. Y-seams on the other hand….well, I have not developed a taste for those yet. Anyway, the blocks are completed and I have to wrap my head around how I want to set them. I have at least one idea kicking around so we will see if I can get back to these or if I will need to let it gel for a little longer. I’m sure you have projects like that as well.
This one is another Block Of The Month (I told you I had a lot of those!). I remember when we started this one that there were some coordinating fabrics and I didn’t like them so I didn’t buy any of them. Of course, this means that I’m on my own for finding fabric to finish off the quilt and after raiding my stash I think I found the perfect stuff. Don’t you love those fireworks? I couldn’t tell you how long ago I found it, so I had to have my husband do some serious math to make sure that what I have will work for what I have in mind. I will have to be very careful in my cutting, but the numbers indicate that things should work out…but it will be very close. Oh, and the hubster is a math guy so while quilt geometry is not his favorite thing, he is able to help me with the more difficult math.
Here are all the blocks finally finished. I had to laugh because after talking with Inez about ideas for setting, she went home and while cleaning in her sewing room discovered that she had done the same BOM only she had purchased the coordinating fabric. I had to laugh because we have both had these sitting around waiting to be finished for quite some time.
This is the one that threw off my list. I had this as a completed top (go figure – another BOM) and had tried to give it away at least twice. As it turns out a teacher’s aide at my son’s school started going through some health stuff and as the school colors are blue and gold I volunteered to donate this top for her. I had been kicking the idea around trying to figure if I had enough time to see it all the way through but when talking to the teacher, I just opened my mouth and volunteered it. I knew it was the right thing to do, but I hadn’t made a final decision until we were chatting. There happens to be a lot of open space on it and so I took it in to the teacher and asked for the children to draw pictures for her on the open yellow spaces. They had a great time and did a great job and hopefully felt that they were doing something positive for their friend. Of course that meant that I had to hurry up and quilt/bind it so it could be gifted out. It has been delivered to her and hopefully it is bringing her comfort and joy.
Lastly, I have yet another BOM. I use that term loosely with this project but it does fit the definition. Once a month Northcott fabric company had published a small quilt/block pattern in a Flower of the Month series. I have (of course) purchased all twelve of them but have completed (fully completed) none of them. I can’t even remember which year this was, but I want to say 2007. I have January to the point where it needs to be bound and that’s as far as I have gotten. This one is April and the kits are cut generously enough that I can get the small quilt and a block out of each one. At least I can for the two that I have gotten to this point. Northcott also put out a coordinating panel for their Flower of the Month and I picked that up thinking that I could work something with extra flower fabric from the kits but now I am thinking I could surely do something with the panel and the extra block. I think that will be a UFO for next year though….
And that was my February. It was a short month, but I did get quite a few things accomplished. I’ve managed a couple of things for March, but had to go off list again for a school charity and now have a boring thing to do on one of my oldest UFO’s. I’m hoping that I can get it completed because I would really like to get this UFO off my list. I did manage to get two more of those Flower of the Month in there as well. Now we will see how much more I can get accomplished.
Thanks again Vera! I really am enjoying getting back in touch with some older projects and moving some of them into my pile of Needs-to-be-Quilted. I suppose I should be watching for some major sales on batting. I’m even more glad to be out of my funk and getting back to normal things (like writing!). Here’s to hoping that March is productive in every sense.