I know, You didn’t think I would come back….

Summer got a little crazy.  What really threw me off course was not having air conditioning in my sewing room.  With our heat and humidity that meant I couldn’t comfortably work in there.  I did talk with my lovely husband about getting a portable air conditioner which may happen for next summer.  Big thanks to Mabel for the suggestion!

So, that meant I got behind and I didn’t figure you would really want to read about the summer activities I was doing with the kids so….I took a little time out and waited for the weather to get cooler.

Now that both of the boys are in school (yep, the Smallest started preschool this year!!  Yea!!) I have two days a week that I can spend in my room for a couple of hours at least.  Yea!

While I was on a break, I did manage to get out my embroidery machine and made an attempt to embroider some shirts for the boys.  Let’s just say it didn’t go as well as I had envisioned.  I did manage to learn a lot and I now have some nice stabilizer….

While I was  putting away things in my sewing room, I got to thinking about my UFO’s and one of them jumped into mind so I dug it out and started to get down to business.

Maybe you remember me writing about this one.

img_1921

I was so excited to get to work on this project but there were some things that I didn’t take into consideration.  There is a lot of appliqué here and it builds on top of each other.  I was using a mid or light weight fusible so when I ironed levels on top of each other, the fusible stopped working.  So, I got frustrated and folded it up and put it away.  However, I still love the look of it and decided I was ready to do some machine appliqué.  Perhaps that is the influence of my dive into machine embroidery that made me think I’m ready to tackle this project again.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I will still have to do this project in chunks….and that I won’t be able to just sit down and work on it exclusively.

Here is where I am now.  I took off all the pieces that were just hanging on and I added some stabilizer to the background so that my machine stitching won’t turn it into a mess.  See?  I have learned something!  You can see here that I have my stabilizer basted on and this is before I take off those darker green pieces.  Really, they are mostly just lying there nicely waiting to be sewn down, but first I need to sew down those light green pieces.

img_1917

Here you can see that I got some stitching done on them.  I had a little trouble finding the right thread.  I thought I had the perfect color and I started with it, but it really was a bit too thick and I only did one piece with it.  After that I opted to switch for something a little lighter in color and thinner.  You can see it here.

Here you can see how awful the thicker thread looked on the back.

img_1920

The skinny stem is with the thinner thread and it doesn’t blurb on to the back like that thicker thread does.  I’m not sure if I will go back and redo the stitching.  I think I will see how the other pieces lay over it and go from there.  I think that’s the best I can do for right now.  If I have to rip it out, at least it’s only one piece.  Of course, it also means I need to go shopping so I can get the right colors of thread.  At least I’m back sewing again, and that makes all the difference.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s